Director General of the GCC Health Council 2016 – until now
Since its establishment in 1396 AH / 1976 AD, the GCC Health Council has been working through an insightful vision and an integrated strategy, to unify the efforts of member states to achieve a unified Gulf health strategy in order to provide the highest levels of health for the citizens of the GCC countries, by spreading awareness and combating diseases, including It is in line with the highest standards of international organizations in achieving health and safety for all members of society. For more than 40 years, the Council has witnessed many developments that accompanied the civilizational renaissance in the Member States, the growth of population numbers, and the resulting significant expansion of health services, which required Introducing several programs that ensure the achievement of set goals with high efficiency that will reflect positively on all parties. Through this introductory bulletin, we look forward to informing you of an aspect of the efforts we are making to ensure a healthy and sound life, and to ensure optimal investment of available resources to enhance the levels of health care, and we hope to always be at the level of aspirations of the citizens of the Member States.
Director General of the GCC Health Council 2016 – until now
• Born in Sharjah in 1967
• Minister of Health and Community Protection in the United Arab Emirates since 2013.
• He held the position of Minister of Culture, Youth and Community Development in 2006.
• Member of the Board of Directors of the Emirates Media Corporation since 2001.
• Member of the Board of Trustees of the Sultan Bin Ali Al Owais Cultural Foundation since 1992.
• Member of the Board of Directors of Sharjah Chamber of Commerce and Industry since 2004.
• Member of the Board of Directors of Sharjah Islamic Bank since 1994.
Graduated from United Arab Emirates University with a degree in Accounting and Information Systems in 1989.
• Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority from 2004 to 2005.
• Member of the Board of Directors of the Emirates Real Estate Bank.
• Chairman of the General Authority for Youth and Sports Welfare.
• Takes cultural concerns from Arabic calligraphy and plastic art.
• He loves poetry and writes it.
She currently holds the position of Minister of Health in the Kingdom of Bahrain, June 13, 2022 CE, corresponding to Dhul Qi’dah 14, 1443 AH
She has held the position of Chief Executive Officer of Primary Health Care Centers since December 2020
She worked as the head of the immunization group at the Public Health Department at the Ministry of Health from 2008 until 2020.
She joined as a family medicine and public health consultant from 2007 AD until 2008 AD
And she worked as a doctor in the Disease Control Department from 2005 AD until 2007 AD. She also worked as a family medicine specialist in the Ministry of Health from February 2005 AD until September 2005 AD. Medical from August 2000 AD to January 2001 AD.
December 2018: Fellowship in Aesthetic Medicine (American Academy)
November 2014: Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Dermatology with Distinction from the University of London (Barts and the London Medical and Dental Center for Dermatological Research).
March 2009: Postgraduate Diploma from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Diseases
November 2008: MSc Tropical Medicine - Tropical and International Health - London School of Hygiene and Tropical Diseases - University of London.
May 2008: Postgraduate Diploma in Tropical Diseases from Imperial College, UK
February 2005: Arab Fellowship in Family Medicine (Arab Board in Family Medicine) - Arab Board of Family Medicine - Kingdom of Bahrain.
December 2004: Irish Fellowship in Family Medicine - joint certification between the Royal College of Ireland and the Irish College of General Practitioners and the Bahrain Ministry of Health - Kingdom of Bahrain.
Projects and achievements:
Project of self-management of primary health care centers
Supervising the National Examination Center to Address the Corona Virus in the exhibition grounds and supervising the clinical trial of the third phase of the Covid 19 vaccine.
One of the participants and main researchers in the Phase 3 clinical trial of the Covid 19 vaccine in the Kingdom of Bahrain 2020.
One of the main participants in the preparation of the verification document for the elimination of endemic measles and rubella in Bahrain (the initial country report on the progress made in combating measles and rubella), which contributed to the Kingdom obtaining certification as being free of measles and rubella, to be one of the first countries in the Eastern Mediterranean Region in A head start to get rid of measles and rubella.
Developing an immunization policy for different age groups, those with risk factors, and women of childbearing age.
Participate in the preparation of Departmental Policy and Procedures (DPP) for the immunization of healthcare workers for the Ministry of Health.
Develop an immunization monitoring tool to assess vaccine administration in all vaccination units (private and government) in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
Main contributor to the preparation and implementation of the National Plan to Combat the H1N1 Influenza Pandemic (2009) - Ministry of Health - Kingdom of Bahrain.
Contributor to the preparation of the national plan to combat bird flu (2006) - Ministry of Health - Kingdom of Bahrain
Contribute to the preparation of the guide for dealing with infectious diseases included in the epidemiological investigation, and this guide explains in detail. Health workers how to report and deal with these diseases.
Technical and academic experiences:
Strategic Consultant in the Advisory Committee on Vaccines and Product Development - World Health Organization since March 2022
Strategic Consultant in the Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization - WHO since April 2015
Member of the National Team to Address the Covid 19 Pandemic - Kingdom of Bahrain
Co-investigator of the Phase 3 Clinical Trial for COVID-19 Vaccine, August 2020 - Kingdom of Bahrain
Chair of the WHO Advisory Working Group (SAGE) on the quality and use of global data for immunization and surveillance from 2017 to October 2019
Consultant in the WHO Measles and Rubella Elimination Team since 2017
Temporary Consultant and Trainer in the WHO Eastern Mediterranean Region on Measles Control, WHO Workshop: National Training Workshop on Measles and Rubella Control for Potential Consultants, Islamabad, Pakistan, 24-28 July 2017.
Consultant (trainer) for the WHO Vaccine Management Training Course, conducted on 25-29 September 2016 for healthcare workers in the UAE.
Temporary Consultant, WHO Working Group on Immunization in the second year of Life Platform 2016
Temporary Consultant, WHO Working Group on Cholera 2015-2016 and WHO Working Group on Neonatal Tetanus 2015-2016.
Vice President of the International Association of Immunization Directors since 2015
Vice-Chair of the Ad Hoc Governance Board of the International Association of Immunization Directors 2013-2014
Interim Consultant, WHO Working Group on Unidentified Impact on Vaccines 2013-2014
Teaching epidemiology, community and evidence-based courses for the Family Medicine Program of the Ministry of Health, Kingdom of Bahrain.
Membership in Professional Societies:
Member of the Strategic Advisory Committee on Vaccines and Product Development - World Health Organization.
Member of the Global Strategic Advisory Group on Immunization (Strategic Consultant in the Global Strategic Advisory Group on Immunization of the World Health Organization).
Dou Royal Society of Tropical Diseases.
Member of the Bahrain Medical Association.
Member of the Bahraini Family Physicians Association and the Infectious Diseases Association.
Member of the International Association of Immunization Managers.
Minister of Health in the Kingdom of Bahrain
Current position: Minister of Health in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, October 15, 2021 CE, corresponding to Rabi` al-Awwal 10, 1443 AH.
• Executive Certificate in Leadership and Management from MIT SLOAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, USA.
• Master's degree in Computer Science from Saint Joseph's University, Pennsylvania, USA.
• Bachelor's degree from King Saud University in Computer Science.
• 2016 Deputy Minister of Health for Planning and Development
• 2012 Deputy Minister in charge of Consumer Affairs, Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
• 2009 Adviser to His Excellency the Minister and General Supervisor of Information Technology, Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
• 2008 Advisor to His Excellency the Minister for Information Technology, Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
• 2007 Acting Director General of Information Technology, General Authority for Investment.
• 2001 Director of Networks and Operations, General Authority for Investment.
• 1998 Director of the Open Source Operating Systems Project (Computer Society and King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology).
Existing boards and committees:
• Member of the Executive Council of Medical Cities.
• Member of the Health Insurance Council.
• Member of the Board of Directors of the General Organization of Saudi Airlines.
• Member of the Competition Protection Council.
• Member of the Board of Directors of the General Organization for Grain Silos and Flour Mills.
Previous councils and committees:
• Member of the Council of the Arab Organization for Standardization, Metrology and Quality.
• Member of the Board of Directors of the Human Resources Development Fund.
• Member of the Preparatory Committee for the Ministerial Supply Committee.
• Member of the National Energy Efficiency Program.
• Member of the Board of Directors of Takamul Company (Ministry of Labor).
• Member of the Board of Directors of Tamkeen Company (Human Resources Fund).
• Member of the Riyadh Region Council.
• Member of the Council of the General Authority for Tourism and Antiquities.
• Member of the Board of Directors of Cooperative Societies.
• Member of the Board of Directors of Jeddah Urban Development Company (Jeddah Municipality).
Minister of Health in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Her Excellency Dr. Hanan Mohamed Al Kuwari was appointed Minister of Public Health in January 2016.
Her Excellency Dr. Hanan Al-Kuwari held the position of Director General of Hamad Medical Corporation before assuming the position of Minister of Public Health.
Her Excellency Dr. Hanan Al-Kuwari joined the Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital of Hamad Medical Corporation in 1996, and rose through the ranks until she assumed the position of General Manager in 2007.
Her Excellency worked before that at the World Health Organization and Reuters News Agency, and also worked as a freelance writer of health articles.
HE the Minister of Public Health holds a PhD in Healthcare Administration from Brunel University, UK.
Her Excellency the Minister of Public Health assumes all responsibilities related to the Ministry of Public Health, including:
• Overseeing the quality of services provided by health service providers in the public and private sectors, and the effectiveness of those services
• Overseeing public health service programs, including disease prevention, occupational health, food safety, environmental safety, and national immunization programmes
• Preparing and developing national health and public health strategies in the State of Qatar, and following up on the progress of implementation thereof
Minister of Public Health - Qatar
His Excellency Dr. Hilal bin Ali Al-Sabti has assumed the position of Minister of Health in the Sultanate of Oman since June 16, 2022 AD. Prior to his appointment as Minister of Health, he held the position of CEO of the Omani Council of Medical Specialties. He also worked as a senior consultant in cardiothoracic surgery at Sultan Qaboos Hospital.
H.E. Helal Al-Sabti obtained his Doctor of Medicine degree from Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Oman and did a residency program in general surgery at the same university, H.E. Dr. Hilal Al-Sabti received his residency training program in Cardiac Surgery at McGill University, Canada while pursuing his master’s degree in Science Experimental Surgery.
H.E. Dr. Helal Al-Sabti also obtained his Board Certificate in Cardiac Surgery from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in 2005, and continued his professional development through a fellowship in Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery at the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, Germany.
His Excellency the doctor received many honors and awards, including the "Oman Civil Medal (Third Class)" in 2015, when the award was awarded by Sultan Qaboos bin Said, "May God rest his soul in peace"
In addition to being awarded the “Medal for the Development of Civil and Administrative Services in the Gulf Cooperation Council Countries” in 2019, he was also awarded the Distinguished Physician Award in 2008-2009 by Sultan Qaboos University Hospital.
He began his working life in the Kuwaiti Ministry of Health with a fellowship in pediatrics (Kuwaiti board) from the Kuwait Institute for Medical Specializations, a doctorate degree in medicine (MD) from the Arabian Gulf University in the Kingdom of Bahrain and a bachelor’s degree in basic sciences from the same university, and he also worked as a pediatric consultant and director Wara Hospital in the private sector, director of the Kuwait Center for Cancer Control in the Al-Sabah Medical Specialized Region, director of the Palliative Care Center in the same region, director of Mubarak Al-Kabeer Hospital, director of Al-Jahra Hospital, and acting director of the Al-Jahra Health Region.
His Excellency Dr. Qasim Muhammad Qasim Buhaibeh has held the position of Minister of Health and Housing in the Republic of Yemen since 2020 AD - until now.
• He holds a PhD in Otorhinolaryngology from the Faculty of Medicine - Suez Canal University - Arab Republic of Egypt in 2011.
• Holds a Master's degree in Otorhinolaryngology from the Faculty of Medicine - Suez Canal University - Arab Republic of Egypt in 2005.
• Holds a Bachelor's degree in General Medicine and Surgery, July 1998, Faculty of Medicine - Sana'a University.
Minister of Public Health and Population - Yemen
Prof. Dr. Tawfiq Ahmed Khoja
Consultant family and community medicine. He held the position of Director General of the Gulf Health Council from 2000 AD - 2016 AD. He holds a fellowship from the British Royal College of General Medicine and the College of Public Health, the British College of Physicians, and a member of the American Academy of Family Medicine and a member of the American College of Executive Physicians.
Dr. Abdul Rahman Abdulaziz Al-Suwailem
He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Munich, Germany in 1966AD, a pediatric diploma from Cairo University in 1973AD, and a pediatric fellowship certificate from the University of Edinburgh in the United Kingdom in 1982AD. In the Children's Hospital in Riyadh before his appointment as Deputy Undersecretary of the Ministry of Health for Medical Affairs in 1983 AD, where he retained the position until 1989 AD.
Dr. Jalal Muhammad Ashi (may God have mercy on him)
He held the position of Director General of the Health Council for the Cooperation Council States from 1976 until 1991 AD, and he also held the position of Director General of Preventive Medicine in the Saudi Ministry of Health, and he is considered one of the founding members of the first general assembly in the Kingdom.